I'm grateful for days such as today! Fast and testimony meeting can always be a good experience, but today, I learned so much more than normal. When the Bishop opened up the meeting for the sharing of testimonies, immediately 4 young children went up to the pulpit to share what they knew. I learned much from each of them, but it wasn't until my own son got up that my lesson was complete.
From child number 1, (Andrew Augustine), I learned the importance of preparation. From the time that Andrew was 3 or 4, he has been going to the pulpit with a little piece of paper where he has written out his testimony. He's done this for years. It is always different and always what he knows to be true and what he has learned. Would that I could always be prepared with a testimony and ready to share it.
From child number 2, (Jocelyn Sullivan), I learned the importance of encouragement. Another member of her family shared their testimony today solely because of her encouragement and example of sharing her own.
From child number 3, (Easton Josie), I learned the importance of excitement. I later found out that this young man asks every Sunday if it is Fast Sunday so that he can share his testimony. Wouldn't it be wonderful if I was that excited every week to share my own thoughts and feelings?
From child number 4, (Elise Olsen), I learned the importance of reverence as she walked with arms folded and very quietly to the stand. I also learned that sometimes we forget what we want to say, but when we take a moment to ponder, we are reminded of what we know. Sometimes I get so rushed and on-the-go that I don't take time to ponder what I know and what is important in my life - mainly my testimony and my family.
From child number 5, (Jeffrey Kelly), I learned the importance of sincerity and doing something you know you're supposed to do even if you're scared and overcome by emotion. I was a bit surprised when Jeffrey left my side to go sit on the stand. He hasn't shared his testimony very often. When he stood at the stand, he was immediately overcome with emotion and just started crying. He said that he knew the church was true and then he tried to continue. His eyes were closed tight, and he could barely get the words out. I was immediately in tears. My heart ached for my little boy and I was so touched that he was so emotional. Of all my children, this one seems to have the tough exterior. I was glad to know that his heart was full and tender, that he followed the promptings of the Holy Ghost to share what he knew to be true even if he was scared and even if he would cry. There weren't too many dry eyes in the place when he sat down and buried his head into my side. I'm a proud mother and tears fall even now as I write this.
So today, on this second day of January, 2011, I am grateful for the example of little ones. May I prepare myself to testify. May I do it with reverence and excitement and with the hope that it will encourage others to testify as well. May my heart be full of the Spirit and the sincerity I feel about my Savior be shared with all those around me. May I stand even when my knees are weak and my eyes seem to leak rather quickly knowing I'm where I'm supposed to be when I'm supposed to be there.
2 comments:
So tender... Thanks for sharing it even brought tears to my eyes.
How beautiful! We too have a ward where lots of little ones regularly bear testimonies. I think it is a wonderful example to the older folks.
Post a Comment